Saturday, March 14, 2009

Whining Recall-Gratitude in Everyting-Keeping The Beast At Bay

Yesterday I was advised that my portion, yes my portion of my 90 day supply of drugs was $2,300.00....yes that's right. My company switched to a health insurance plan called an HSA where I have to fund the first $5,000.00. Every ninety days I would call in my refill and have my co-pay charged to my credit card. Occasionally I would gripe about the $120.00. When I found out the true cost of these drugs I was floored and proceeded to launch into a full on pity party for myself. Towards the end of the day when I began to develop more of an "it is what it it" attitude, I realized how fortunate I was to even have health insurance, and I am able to pay for my drugs, even though it will take some creative financing. I starting thinking about all the people losing their jobs. Right now one in ten of us is unemployed. Unemployed! Forget about health insurance. Millions are without health insurance, and those with sub standard health plans are choosing, yes choosing, to forgo filling their prescriptions for life saving medications. The elderly cannot afford to continue taking life saving medications, they have to chose between drugs and food. It's not just the elderly either it is happening in middle America as well.

We need health reform on so many levels. Don't even get me started on big Pharmacetical companies. My point is gratitude. I shifted my thinking and reversed my thought process to gratitude and reminded myself of my committment to myself to find meaning in every encounter and to have gratitude for the lessons each situation presents.

Later that evening I opened my email to find an message from my tax person. I haven't had a decent refund in years. Usually just enough from Federal to pay State. The email was to tell me I would be getting a refund in the amount of, yes, just enough to cover my drug expenses for the next 90 days. Coincidence? I think not.

I am keeping the beast called cancer at bay. There is a price. There is a price for everything. I will gladly pay it.

No comments: