Thursday, July 10, 2008

a: showing kindness and gentleness b: favorable, wholesome

Friend or foe?  Looks like my latest tumor lived up to its name showing a "kindness and gentleness" that my body and my psche truly appreciates.  Benign, what a lovely word.

I am now officially a cancer survivor, in remission, free to think about the future, the present, the here, the now.

Everything I have read warns the first two years are hell. Every lump, bump, scratch, scrape may lead a survivor into an abyss of darkness wondering if the cancer has returned.  For the next two years, every 90 days I will be poked, prodded, injected with dye, x-rayed, held hostage in the MRI tube, and most distressing, I will be forced to don those hideous gowns.

Why isn't there a Bravo series we can relate to?  Oh, you know what I'm taking about! Forget  Design on a Dime, or Shear Genius, what about designing a decent gown that leaves one with a shard of self respect rather than prancing about in the company of strangers with either our ass hanging out, or for those of us whose bodies have been "surgically altered," a gown that actually closes where it matters!  Think about it, they tie around your neck, not quite your midsection, and who knows what the other tie is for, you know the one placed half way around that attaches to basically nothing!

With all the advances that have been made in medicine one would think they may have heard of velcro...HELLO!

My deepest and most sincere thank you goes out to all of you who have continued to hold me in their prayers, thoughts, and hearts.  A dear friend asked me if I was surprised by any particular individual(s) support.  Absolutely and unequivocally I answered NO.  I believe in the innate goodness in people.  I have chosen to surround myself with quality people, people I can believe in.

It's not by accident that I work with fabulous people or live in a neighborhood where I am surrounded by awesome neighbors.  I don't have to wonder who my friends are, and my family ROCKS!

Life is all about choices.  I choose living, and I plan to proceed with gusto!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is AMAZING & WONDERFUL NEWS!!!I knew your strength & positive vibes would pull through. XOXO Jennifer, Johnny & Gomez

Anonymous said...

Great news--benign is a lovely word isn't it? And I don't think you'll get any arguments about those silly gowns. I feel more dignified without them frankly.

Lady of the Latte said...

Hi,
What wonderful news.
And from all this, you have a new avocation as a stand-up or comedy writer. You bring a wonderful lightness to this potentially dark issue.

Mazel tov and blessings.

Duchess
(neighbor at 3605)