Sunday, May 4, 2008

Losing a parent

Losing a parent is one of life's unimaginable events. Even as we age we seem to think they will forever be there for us.  As this Mother's Day approaches I think about my Mother who passed this January 25th 2008.  Not a day goes by that I don't try to visualize her, hear her voice, or capture her scent.  Last week her dog unexpectedly passed.  With the onslaught of media attempting to convince us that we will be good daughters, sons, or husbands if we present the woman in our lives with the perfect gift, I think about the perfect gift of showing appreciation, love and compassion throughout the year, rather than buckling to convention, and padding the coffers of See's Candies, Hallmark, etc. Going out on Mother's Day conjures, long waits, poor service and mediocre overpriced food. If I could present my Mother with anything this Mother's Day it would be a heartfelt embrace, asking for forgiveness for all the times I was selfish, and didn't take the time to spend with her, or return calls because I was busy.  You think life just goes on forever, but it doesn't.  Time rolls on, people change, our parents get sick,and eventually we must say goodbye.  I wish I had more time so she knew just how deeply I loved her and how deeply sorry I was for never really accepting who she was in the world and just embrace the lovely woman she was.  Happy Mother's Day Mom, I love you and I hope you are wrapped in the loving arms of your family, your Mother, Father, Sister and your beloved dog Belle.  The only thing that gives me peace is knowing you are surrounded by love.

I miss you Mom,  Love Karen

No comments: